The goal of Training Module 5 is to provide child welfare workers with an understanding of the importance of responding to families affected by substance use disorders from a strengths-based perspective while providing ongoing safety assessment and monitoring a family’s progress over time. This module also highlights the importance of incorporating information about an individual or family’s substance use and treatment services into their case plan and ongoing safety planning. The module emphasizes that supporting families in identifying strengths throughout the process can create long-term successful outcomes for children and families.
After completing this training, child welfare workers will:
- Recognize assessment as a process, not an event, and understand the importance of ongoing assessment and evaluation.
- Identify the effect of parental substance use disorders on child safety.
- Develop a case plan to meet the needs of families with a substance use disorder that integrates ongoing planning for safety.
- Implement strategies for monitoring progress.
- Identify and build on family strengths for successful outcomes.