The goal of Training Module 4 is to provide strategies that child welfare workers can use to engage individuals in the change process when there are concerns regarding a substance use disorder, mental health disorder, or trauma history. This module describes skills that child welfare workers can use to engage individuals using a family-centered approach. Participants will learn how to engage families in the child welfare assessment and referral process. Participants will increase their knowledge on assessing parents’ needs to ensure a successful referral process for comprehensive assessment and treatment services.
After completing this training, child welfare workers will:
- Practice building rapport.
- Use motivational interviewing techniques.
- Recognize readiness for change.
- Explain the change process.
- Identify engagement strategies for child welfare assessment and referral.
- Increase knowledge on making referrals for comprehensive assessment and treatment services.